Letter from Spencer:
First, I would like to say thank you to everyone who has bought FLAVNT gear or who has directly donated to me during my fundraiser. I would like to give a huge thank you to the twins for taking me on as their 7th partner and helping me become one step closer to a surgery I have wanted for a long time. My fundraiser was a huge success and my top surgery is fully paid for! This wouldn't have been achievable without Courtney, Chris, and all of you who have helped me along the way.
Sadly, my top surgery is postponed and the time is yet to be determined. Around March/April I went to the doctor for routine blood work. Based on those results my doctor suggested I go to a specialist who then suggested I get more extensive testing/imaging. Based on my past medical history and the discrepancies of my results, my specialist was suspicious of cancer. This put me in a huge dilemma. With a cancer diagnosis I would not be eligible for top surgery by my current surgeon (or most surgeons in the US) until I was at least one year in remission. However, if I did not get the requested tests/imaging I would be increasing the chances of the possible cancer growing/spreading to a point where it is no longer treatable. After hearing all of the possible outcomes I had decided to decline the imaging/testing and treat the problem symptomatically. The only hold up when it came to my blood work is that my clotting time was too high for surgery. In April it was hovering around 2 minutes (normal clotting time is roughly 25-30 seconds) and now it is closer to 1 minute. As soon as my clotting time gets within the 30 seconds range I will immediately be able to receive top surgery and after the surgery/healing is complete the doctors will get the permission to run whatever test they need to find the underlying problem. Until then it will be (and has been) a massive waiting game. Six months has already passed and though I am closer to the magic number than I was before, I am still risking the potential growth/spreading of the suspected cancer. If my numbers don’t get into the required range soon, I will run out of time and the doctors will insist on treating the suspected cancer and forgoing my top surgery, meaning I could possibly be without top surgery for years. So I’m just hoping that my body will cooperate and I can get surgery as soon as my levels qualify me.
As you can imagine, I have been having a very hard time digesting this information. It has been a struggle to stay positive but I have been surrounded by amazing friends and family who have helped me through this difficult decision. Thank you everyone who has supported me thus far. As soon as I know any information I will be sure to let all of you know. Follow me on social media or keep an eye out on the FLAVNT page for more updates! I am truly grateful to every one of you.
Thank you for making me one step closer to becoming a more comfortable and confident Spencer. I send you all my love and thank you for your understanding.